Thursday 20 January 2011

The Last Night

I am meant to be writing my dissertation, but have gone in for a distraction instead...

It all started with a book. A book that I was given for no reason at all. Just a book that he thought I would like... It was called 'The Last Night' and had a deep blue cover, with a lighter shade of swirls in the background. I couldn't wait to start reading it. In fact, I opened it right there and then, in the middle of the restaurant. The first sentence sent chills up my spine: "I was walking in a clearing, listening hard for the sounds of footsteps..." Why? Where was he?

"Hello?" my boyfriend, Mike, asked. "Have I lost your attention completely?"

Well, he had. What could I say? So I put the book in my bag, out of temptations way and smiled at him.

"Thank you," I reached across the table and took his hand. We carried on with our meal, but I was secretly waiting for my next chance to open the book; wondering what was going to happen. The food was not as appetising as I had expected, though that could have been because I was distracted. Before long we were leaving the restaurant, and heading back to my place. I was quite proud of my new flat. It had really high ceilings, a large kitchen to cook in and I had gone out an bought a massive bed to fill my bedroom. I had only been living there for six weeks, since I had got my new job and had to move across the county. It was not really a problem, of course, because I had already lived here once, when I was at university and Mike had always been here.

As we walked up to the entrance, I knew he was wanting to come in. He had been so lovely to me, buying me the book and paying for dinner, I couldn't exactly send him away. So in we went, and I put the kettle on. We sat for a while, chatting and kissing.

"Are you staying tonight?" I asked him, secretly hoping he was planning on going back home. I am not strange. I truly do love Mike, but we have spent nearly every night together since I moved back, and I just wanted the bed to myself for a change. It sounded so ungrateful.

"Yeah, I am. Luke wants me to come to training in the morning, and you know I won't go if I stay here. I will be too distracted," he joked while kissing my neck. I moved back so that I could kiss him properly.

"Okay then." The kisses were becoming more urgent, knowing that we didn't have all night. It was already midnight, he would be leaving soon. All of a sudden, knowing that he was going, I didn't want him to. I didn't care about the book or having the bed to myself, I wanted to be able to cuddle up into him all night.

Silently giving myself a telling off for being so ridiculous, I took his hand and took him to my bedroom.


I showed him out an hour later, and locked the door behind him. As much as I loved this flat, I was still very worried about something happening. The door was always locked. I slid on some pyjamas and rolled into my bed, realizing that, although I hadn't really wanted Mike to stay, the bed seemed very big and empty now he had gone. Finally, I could take 'The Last Night' out of my bag and get back into it.

'I was walking in a clearing, listening hard for the sounds of footsteps. I knew I couldn't be found wandering around here tonight. But I couldn't help it! I felt like I had been drawn here by something; like I had to be here. I knew this was probably just my own subconscious. It was, after all, Eloise's engagement party. Which I hadn't been invited to. Just because of our history together. I knew in my heart that Eloise would never be marrying that guy, that Jeremy, if it was not for her parents. They were the ones that had put their foot down over our relationship. I could practically hear their voices ringing in my ears. 


"He's not good enough for you... Only an handyman... You could do better Eloise."


Until eventually she did it. She came and found me fixing the sink one day and broke the news.


"I am getting married, Eddie. I am going to marry Jeremy Richards at the end of the month." She had a smile on her face. I couldn't help thinking it: Bitch! But when I looked closer, I could see that she was hiding the tears. Instantly, I berated myself for jumping to conclusions. She didn't want to marry him, she knew that we could never be together if she married Jeremy. I could see her point though, he was earning a lot of money compared to me; working at a bank in the city, a much better choice of husband. She would always be well looked after, but I knew it was me that she wanted. Unable to say anything that mattered, I just nodded and gave her my congratulations. She left the room, singing to keep her grief away. 


I finished fixing the sink that afternoon, and gave my notice in to her parents: Mr. and Mrs. Peters. I didn't want to be working in the house that would soon no longer hold Eloise's singing or laughter.'



No comments:

Post a Comment