Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Last Night : part 3

When we got back to the house, I realised that, I hadn't only left the door unlocked, but not quite shut. I shook my head and thanked god that this village was such a safe place to live. Not that I had ever known anywhere else. I had been born here and inherited the house when my mum had died. As far as I could see there was no point in going anywhere else. I have all that I could ever want... Or at least had. Now that Eloise was getting married and I had handed in my notice, I only really had the house and Ace. 


But Ace was not going to let me contemplate that. He was moaning already; obviously as hungry as I was. I went into the kitchen and got some dog food out for him. Once he was sated, I started to route around in the cupboards and fridge for something for myself. There was not much in. Some eggs, cheese and dried pasta. Hmmm... what to eat? In the end, I went for a cheese omelette. Quick and easy.


Before I knew it, I was sat in my dark living room, watching a live roulette show on the television. Looking at the clock, I realised I had been sat staring at the television all night. My omelette sat, half finished, on the table in front of me. I looked down at Ace who was lying at my feet. 


"Hey buddy, how long have I been sat here, huh?" I scratched behind his ears and emptied my plate into the bin in the kitchen. "Let's go to bed."


..........

I felt so sorry for Eddie. I could see that he was not going to take Eloise getting married well. I hoped for him to leave his village and find someone new; a new life. But I had a feeling that this was not how it was going to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment